Making Sense of Board Certification
Almost everyone has heard that they should look for “board certification” when seeking a qualified plastic surgeon. Most people do not really understand exactly what this means and what is involved in becoming “board certified”.
The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) is the agency which oversees sub-specialty boards. More than 100 “boards” have been submitted to the ABMS for formal approval, but only 24 have met their strict educational and examination criteria. They are as follows:
Allergy and Immunology
Colon and Rectal Surgery
Obstetrics and Gynecology
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Psychiatry and Neurology
The American Board of Plastic Surgery is the only ABMS board that has traditionally overseen the training and certification of plastic and reconstructive surgeons. You may call the ABMS at 1-800-776-2378 to see if your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Other boards have less strict criteria for certification and some require only a fee. A few of the boards which have NOT been approved by the ABMS are as follows:
Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
Facial Cosmetic Surgery
Plastic Esthetic Surgery
Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery
The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery is the leading organization of plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who specialize in cosmetic surgery of the face and the entire body.
• All members of the ASAPS are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS).
• To become a member of the Aesthetic Society all members must meet specified requirements for documented aesthetic (cosmetic) surgery cases performed during a 12-month period and covering a wide range of procedures.
• All ASAPS surgeons go through rigorous post-graduate training as a requirement of membership.
• Members must meet requirements for operating in an accredited surgical facility.
• Members must adhere to current ethical standards for professional conduct.
• State laws permit any licensed physician to be called a ‘plastic’ or ‘cosmetic’ surgeon, even if not trained as a surgeon. All Aesthetic Society members are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and have met additional requirements for clinical experience and continuing education in cosmetic surgery.
About Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani
Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani earned his medical degree with Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) distinction at the University of Nebraska Medical School in Omaha, Nebraska. He then completed five years of general surgery residency training at the University of Kansas Medical Center and a 2 year residency in plastic surgery at the University of Rochester, Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, New York. Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Florida Society of Plastic Surgery and the Florida Medical Association. He has also received numerous awards for his work in plastic surgery including the Patients’ Choice Award, America’s Top Physicians in Plastic Surgery, Doctor’s of Distinction selection for Orlando Magazine, and voted the best in his field in the Orlando Sentinel two years in a row.
For more information on Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani, please call our office today at (407) 901- 4934 to schedule your complimentary consultation or complete our contact form online. The Aesthetic Surgery Centre is located at 413 Lake Howell Road Maitland, FL 32751, and can be found online at jptrev.com or our Facebook Page. You may also visit our exclusive website dedicated to only breast surgery at usabreast.com.
* Information made available from The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Inc.